As students progress beyond the beginner stages of learning English they reach a critical point in their learning. The novelty of learning a new language has worn off yet fluency and full understanding is still far away. The GEC course is designed to stimulate students enthusiasm and improve their confidence by engaging them in a wide variety of practical uses of English and topical subjects.
At the same time, the course focuses on preparing students for further academic study by familiarising them with, and building their competency in using the basic structures of the English language.
IELTS Band 3 or equivalent level
The course consists of multiple units, and each unit is centred around a unique theme relevant to students everyday life. The themes include:
- family life and relationships
- fashion and art
- travel and holidays
- sport and recreation
Each unit will include concrete learning objectives to ensure students attain the relevant skills and successive units will build upon and incorporate the previous learning. Equal weight will be given to the five skills of:
The course content is presented in a variety of formats, including:
- audio and visual media
Students will also be encouraged to actively participate in the classroom through group activities and discussions.
At the successful completion of the course, students will reach a level equivalent to IELTS Band 4.
Students will be able to:
- provide descriptions of themselves and other people, living and working conditions, routines and events etc., with detail and coherence.
- use a variety of common grammatical patterns with reasonable accuracy and display a range of vocabulary related to everyday life.
- speak clearly enough to be understood without excessive repetition about simple topics.
- comprehend, analyse, and interpret straightforward written texts and audio.
Check back soon.